Saturday, October 31, 2009

Message From Beyond?


Sadly yesterday I had to put my 15 year old dog Smokey to sleep. The vet came out, so he was at home surrounded by people and dogs that loved him.  He peacefully slipped away.
Like my grand daughter said it was a good death.
We should all be so lucky.

I got ready for bed. My fire was just coals and I threw a little more wood in. The damper was almost closed.
I have done this so many times before.
My smoke alarm had gone out a couple of weeks ago and I haven't replaced it yet.
I woke up in a panic. The room was filled with smoke. It was 4 am.
 I flipped on the lights.I checked everywhere to see if something was on fire.
Only the logs blazing in the wood stove. I open the doors and turn on the fan. It was so smoky in here.

Then I thought of him and felt a sense of comfort.

*note to self: get a new smoke alarm



2 comments:

  1. So sad Diana, but you shared 15 good years with him. And yes, methinks you should get a new smoke alarm!

    ReplyDelete