Thursday, March 12, 2009

Springtime and the New Puppy


Spring is trying real hard to get here. After a week or so of awesome weather we are getting snow and ice. It took a hammer to get the chicken coop door open this morning.

I got my new paint and supplies and have not finished one new painting. My bad.

Spring chores and horses begging to be ridden have kept me out of the studio. It is impossible for me to stay indoors after waiting all winter to play outside.

My baby chicks have hatched. Out of 14 eggs only 5 chicks survived. Not a very good hatch. Hope they are not all roosters. I may have to do one more batch. I am trying to get a dozen hen and now only have 7. The hawks have taken two since fall. I think this is fair. Hope they don't start taking more than their share.

I finally got a new puppy! I have been looking on and off for over a year. I lost my wolf last fall. He was 10 years old. My chow/ husky mix is old as dirt, 14. That is about 150 in big dog years.

The pup is German Shepard/mastiff and pit bull. The parents are very nice dogs. He is 7 weeks old and about 15 pounds. He seems very smart and is catching on to house training and farm life quickly. But...

I don't know if it is my memory or what, but I don't remember my newborns getting me up as many times during the night as this pup does. Last night we were only up twice, a new record. He doesn't have a name yet. I'm thinking of giving him a Native American name. Right now I'm stuck on "Whines All Night". I need a nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment